Holiday parties and family gatherings can be a wonderful part of the holiday season but can be very stressful for those trying to build a family of their own.
Be true to yourself and do what is right for you – go to the parties and lie to Aunt Betty or avoid them all together (the flu is common at this time of year!). A last minute getaway for the holidays to avoid the entire family scene is always an option. If you feel that you are spending a significant amount of time sad please call your doctor or seek out a local counselor and remember you are not alone.
- Ignore Santa (and all the screaming children around him) at the mall.
- Throw out the Pottery Barn Kids catalog.
- Don’t let your husband/partner/family buy gifts for the baby that is not conceived yet.
- Ignore Aunt Betty asking when you will be having kids.
- Don’t watch sappy holiday movies about adorable families (or puppies).
- Eat. Drink. Be Merry. (Make yourself merry by attending, or NOT, holiday gatherings).
- Be prepared for pregnancy announcements (probably from your close friends and family since they surely are more fertile because you are trying.)
- Seek out time with childless friends. Remember you are not alone – there are millions of couples going through the struggle to build their own family.
- Ignore Aunt Betty asking when you will be having kids (again).
- Just throw out all those cute baby Holiday cards from your friends – in fact, don’t even open them!
Dr. Beth Malizia is a Reproductive Endocrinologist and Infertility Specialist from Brookwood Baptist Medical Center.
Your health is too important to leave to chance. Let us help you find the physician that’s right for you.