We hope you incorporate healthy red foods (and healthy foods of all other colors!) into your diet every single day, all year round.
But during American Heart Month, healthy red foods deserve a prominent spot on your plate (and in your drinking glass).
Here are 10 red foods that are great for your heart and a simple recipe to go along with each.
- Red berries: Red Berry Squares – Mix strawberry-flavored gelatin with fresh strawberries and raspberries. Cut into squares before serving.
- Watermelon: Frozen Watermelon Bites – Alternate frozen cubes of watermelon and mint leaves on a skewer and serve cold (Be sure to save this one for summer!)
- Red smoothie: Ravin’ Red Smoothie – Blend 1 cup low-fat yogurt, ½ cup frozen strawberries, ½ cup frozen raspberries and one frozen banana.
- Marinara sauce: Red Pasta – Cook whole-wheat spaghetti and top with low-sodium marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Red apples: Baked Red Apple Dessert – Fill 1 whole red apple (cored) with ¼ cup chopped almonds, ¼ cup dried cranberries, 1 tsp. honey and 1 tsp. brown sugar. Bake for 15 minutes at 350° or until sugar bubbles.
- Tomatoes: Perfect Polenta – Cook polenta and mix with roasted red bell peppers, roasted cherry tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Red pepper: Stuffed Red Bell Pepper – Stuff 1 red pepper (cored) with ½ cup cooked brown rice, ¼ cup diced red onion, ¼ cup ground turkey (browned), 1 tbsp. parsley, salt and pepper. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until pepper is heated through.
- Red cabbage: Roasted Red Cabbage Salad – In a large bowl, combine 2 cups chopped red cabbage (roasted), ½ cup red onion (thinly sliced and sautéed), ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp. olive oil and sea salt.
- Red beans: Red Bean Salsa – Combine 2 cups red beans, ½ cup diced red onions, 1 cup diced red tomato, ¼ cup diced jalapeno (seeds removed), ¼ cup chopped parsley, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, salt and pepper.
iChooseB is Brookwood Baptist Medical Center’s new online community where Birmingham women of all ages gather to share their stories, pictures and experiences with each other. From hospital stays and pregnancy questions to health, wellness and nutrition information, there’s something for every woman at iChooseB.com. Whether you’re welcoming new life into the world, learning to take better care of yourself or just celebrating life as a woman, you’ll find others just like you at iChooseB.com.
Your health is too important to leave to chance. Let us help you find the physician that’s right for you.